In 1852, Benjamin Mason, aged 25 and previously working as steel and metal roller, set up business rolling brass alloys into strip.
In 1859, he transferred the business over to new, steam-powered rolling mills which became known as the Aston Manor Rolling Mills and supplied strip for many local traders.
Two of his sons, James and William Mason, took over the business control in 1882 and the company remained in the Mason family until 1917.
B Mason & Sons Ltd was registered as a private company in March 1915, with a capital of £8000 in £1 shares.
Some of the new investors, such as Mr. Isaac Shaw, took greater interest in running the company in later years. The Shaw family took over legal ownership of B Mason in 1917.
By the distribution of shares, new investment was possible, electricity replaced steam to drive the mills and the rolling mills were extended.
The average weekly production of rolled metal was 18 tons. Customers were badge and button trades and lock and key makers.
When Ken Shaw took over management in 1959, a decision to modernise the plant was made. B Mason identified the long-term future strategy to be high quality, long (heavy weight) coils in phosphor bronze, nickel silver and brass.
Re-roll of brass started in the mid 1960s and the rolling mills were equipped with machinery that could increase the range of alloys being made.
In 1969, Mason was the first UK company to adopt semi-continuous horizontal casting. This enabled the company to be more competitive and to expand their sales area. The 1970s and 80s saw phosphor bronze alloys and nickel silver alloys being introduced.
In 1985, the site was extended by purchasing adjacent land in order to obtain the much needed space for increased production.
B Mason was taken over by the Wieland-Werke AG, Germany, on 11th July 1988. By then, the Company had more than doubled its original site since 1852.
Wieland is the leading independent European manufacturer of non-ferrous semi finished products.
New equipment was installed which reduced manual labour and virtually enclosed all aspects of the metal rolling process.
Looking back on over 150 years of history, B Mason & Sons Ltd keeps investing in machinery and training of its workforce in order to supply its customers with high quality semi-finished non-ferrous products.